Impact of the Covid-19 coronavirus pandemic on tourism facilities in the regions of Slovakia in 2020Rok vydání: 2021
Tourism is an inter-ministerial sector, significantly affecting the employment and development of regions. The paper aims to determine the impact of the epidemiological situation caused by the COVID-19 on the development of tourism in the regions of Slovakia based on the use of quantitative methods. Extensive travel restrictions caused a record drop in accommodation visit rate in 2020. The number of foreign visitors decreased by two-thirds year-on-year to the level of 1998. The visit rate in the Slovak Republic was mainly by domestic visitors. Despite the pandemic, in the third quarter of 2020, they exceeded last year's record numbers from the summer season. After considering the visit rate of domestic and foreign visitors, the number of visitors decreased the least year-on-year in the Žilina Region. The most significant year-on-year decrease in visitors was recorded in the Bratislava Region, where business clients were significantly absent. Gross sales decreased by almost half compared to the previous year. The highest gross sales were achieved by accommodation establishments in the Žilina Region. The number of overnight stays decreased year-on-year in all regions. However, the length of stays was significantly extended in the fourth quarter of 2020, thanks to the visit rate in spa towns.
tourism, COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic, gross sales, regions of Slovakia
- BRIDA, J. G., GOMEZ, D. M., SEGARRA, V., (2020). On the empirical relationship between tourism and economic growth. Tourism Management, vol. 81. ISSN 0261-5177. DOI: 10.1016/j.tourman.2020.104131.
- EUROPEAN COMMISSION, (2020). Tourism and transport: Commission's guidance on how to safely resume travel and reboot Europe's tourism in 2020 and beyond. [online]. [cit. 2021-03-10]. Available online: https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_20_854.
- EUROSTAT, (2020). Tourism nights dropped sharply in March and April 2020. [online]. [cit. 2021-03-10]. Available online: https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/web/products-eurostat-news/-/DDN-20200716-1.
- FARZANEGAN, M. R., GHOLIPOUR, H. F., FEIZI, M., NUNKOO, R., ANDARGOLI, A. E., (2020). International Tourism and Outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19): A Cross-Country Analysis. Journal of Travel Research, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 687-692. ISSN 1552-6763. DOI: 10.1177/0047287520931593.
- HALLER, A. P., BUTNARU, G. I., HARSAN, G. D. T., STEFANICA, M., (2020). The relationship between tourism and economic growth in the EU-28. Is there a tendency towards convergence? Economic Research-Ekonomska Istraživanja, Advance online publication. ISSN 1848-9664. DOI: 10.1080/1331677X.2020.1819852.
- KARAOULANIS, A., (2018). Tourism in developing countries. The path towards sustainable development and its interaction with the local communities, the environment and the human factor. Socio Economic Challenges, 2, no. 4, pp. 80-86. ISSN 2520-6214. DOI: 10.21272/sec.4(2).80-86.2018.
- KHALID, U., OKAFOR, L. E., BURZYNSKA, K., (2021). Does the size of the tourism sector influence the economic policy response to the COVID-19 pandemic? Current Issues in Tourism, Advance online publication. ISSN 1747-7603. DOI: 10.1080/13683500.2021.1874311.
- KORENKOVÁ, M., MAROŠ, M., LEVICKÝ, M., FIĽA, M., (2020). Consumer Perception of Modern and Traditional Forms of Advertising. Sustainability, vol 12, no. 23, pp. 9996:1-9996:25. ISSN 2071-1050. DOI: 10.3390/su12239996.
- KOTÍKOVÁ, H., (2013). Nové trendy v nabídce cestovního ruchu. Praha: Grada Publishing. ISBN 9788024746036.
- KUQI, B., ELEZAJ, E., MILLAKU, B., DRESHAJ, A., HUNG, N. T., (2021). The impact of COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2) in tourism industry: evidence of Kosovo during Q1, Q2 and Q3 period of 2020. Journal of Sustainable Finance & Investment, Advance online publication. ISSN 2043-0809. DOI: 10.1080/20430795.2021.1883986.
- LOPEZ, R. R., LOPEZ-FELIPE, T., NAVAJAS-ROMERO, V., MENOR-CAMPOS, A., (2021). Lessons from the First Wave of COVID-19. What Security Measures Do Women and Men Require from the Hotel Industry to Protect against the Pandemic? International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 18, no. 5, pp. 2232:1-2232:16. ISSN 1660-4601. DOI: 10.3390/ijerph18052232.
- MINISTRY OF TRANSPORT AND CONSTRUCTION OF THE SLOVAK REPUBLIC, (2021). Schéma pomoci v cestovnom ruchu. [online]. [cit. 2021-03-10]. Available online: https://www.mindop.sk/cestovnyruch.
- MORENO-LUNA, L., ROBINA-RAMIREZ, R., SANCHEZ, M. S. O., CASTRO-SERRANO, J., (2021). Tourism and Sustainability in Times of COVID-19: The Case of Spain. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 18, no. 5, pp. 1859:1-1859:21. ISSN 1660-4601. DOI: 10.3390/ijerph18041859.
- OECD, (2020). Tourism Policy Responses to the coronavirus (COVID-19). [online]. [cit. 2021-03-10]. Available online: https://www.oecd.org/coronavirus/policy-responses/tourism-policy-responses-to-the-coronavirus-covid-19-6466aa20/.
- PAPCUNOVÁ, V., HUDÁKOVÁ, J., BERESECKÁ, J., (2018). Changes in the Local Self - Government in the Conditions of Slovak Republic per 25 Years. In Geographical Information: 26th International Geographical Conference on Geographical Aspects of Central Europe - Slovakia and Czechia - 25 Years on the Political Map of the World. Nitra: Constantine the Philosopher University in Nitra, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 223-231. ISSN 1337-9453. DOI: 10.17846/GI.2018.22.2.223-231.
- PAYNE, J. E., GIL-ALANA, L. A., MERVAR, A., (2021). Persistence in Croatian tourism: The impact of COVID-19. Tourism Economics, Advance online publication. ISSN 2044-0375. DOI: 10.1177/1354816621999969.
- PELUSO, A. M., PICHIERRI, M., (2021). Vacation preferences in the COVID-19 era: an investigation of age-related effects. Current Issues in Tourism, Advance online publication. ISSN 1747-7603. DOI: 10.1080/13683500.2021.1902288.
- STATISTICAL OFFICE OF THE SLOVAK REPUBLIC, (2021). Visitors and turnover of accommodation facilities by regions - quarterly data. [online]. [cit. 2021-04-02]. Available online: http://datacube.statistics.sk/#!/view/en/VBD_SK_WIN/cr3005qr/v_cr3005qr_00_00_00_en.
- ŠKARE, M., SORIANO, D. R., PORADA-ROCHOŃ, M., (2021). Impact of COVID-19 on the travel and tourism industry. Technological Forecasting & Social Change, 163, pp. 120469:1-120469:14. ISSN 0040-1625. DOI: 10.1016/j.techfore.2020.120469.
- WORLD TRAVEL & TOURISM COUNCIL, (2020a). Economic Impact Reports. [online]. [cit. 2021-03-10.] Available online: https://wttc.org/Research/Economic-Impact.
- WORLD TRAVEL & TOURISM COUNCIL, (2020b). To Recovery & Beyond: The Future of Travel & Tourism in the Wake of COVID-19. [online]. [cit. 2021-03-10]. Available online: https://wttc.org/Portals/0/Documents/Reports/2020/To%20Recovery%20and%20Beyond-The%20Future%20of%20Travel%20Tourism%20in%20the%20Wake%20of%20COVID-19.pdf?ver=2021-02-25-183120-543.