Impact of Fiscal Decentralization Reforms in AlbaniaRok vydání: 2020
Decentralization and fiscal decentralization constitute one of the most followed trends for political and economic reform in recent years around the world. Albania, in the 1990s, begins its process of transitioning from a centralized economy to a free-market economy. This process is accompanied by transforming existing economic mechanisms and infrastructure to better function the free-markets model, but above all, with the need to develop and create new legal, institutional, economic, and social instruments and spaces to increase the allocation and efficiency of public and private resources. The objective of this study is to give an appropriate answer to the question: What has been the impact of decentralization reforms on the performance of public services provided by local government? The research paper will focus on the role that improvements and legislative changes play in the country's economic growth. Within the past two decades, progress is made in advancing decentralization reform, but there are still many challenges ahead, such as the lack of a clear legal and regulatory framework. Adding to that concern is the financial autonomy of local governments, which remains a challenge for the future. The research methodology used will be a descriptive analysis of data obtained from the Ministry of Finance and Economy and local municipalities on the impact of the reforms. Recommendations and suggestions will be given on the reforming process, as well as ways to increase the efficiency of local government units.
Public expenditure; challenges; reform; fiscal decentralization.
- BRUECKNER, J. 2006. Fiscal federalism and economic growth. Journal of Public Economics 90(10-11): 2107-2120. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpubeco.2006.05.003
- DAVODI, H., HENG-FU, Z. 1998. Fiscal Decentralization and Economic Growth: A Cross-Country Study.: Journal of Urban Economics 43. 244-257. https://doi.org/10.1006/juec.1997.2042
- FELD, L. P., SCHNELLENBACH, J. 2011. Fiscal federalism and long-run macroeconomic performance: A survey of recent research. Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy 29(2): 224-243. https://doi.org/10.1068/c1054r
- GARMAN, C., HAGGARD, S., WILLIS, E. (2001). Fiscal decentralization: A political theory with Latin American cases. World Politics 53 (2): 205-236. https://doi.org/10.1353/wp.2001.0002
- GEMMELL, N., KNELLER, R., SANZ, I. 2013. Fiscal decentralization and economic growth: spending versus revenue decentralization. Economic Inquiry 51 (4): 1915–1931. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1465-7295.2012.00508.x
- GUGA, E. 2018. Local government modernization in Albania, International Journal of Public Sector Management, 31 No. 4, pp. 466-506. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJPSM-01-2017-0018
- JING, J., HENG-FU, Z. 2001, Fiscal Decentralization and Economic Growth in China, World Bank Research Paper, The World Bank, Washington D.C.
- KAPIDANI, M. 2015. Fiscal Decentralization in Albania: Effects of Territorial and Administrative Reform, Scientific Bulletin – Economic Sciences, Volume 14/ Special Issue ETAEc
- KARDAR, S. 2001. Local Government Finance in Pakistan Post, The Lahore Journal of Economics (Special Edition).
- Law number 115/2014 date 31.07.20149, On the administrative and territorial units of local government in the Republic of Albania.
- Law number 9869, date 04.02.2008 "For local government borrowing."
- Law number 9936, date 26.06.2008 "On the management of the budget system in the Republic of Albania."
- Local Finances, Web page: http://financatvendore.al/
- MARTINEZ, J. 2001. Fiscal Decentralization and Economic Growth, Working Paper, Georgia State University.
- QIAO, Y., MARTINEZ- VAZQUEZ, J., XU, J. 2008. The trade-off between growth and equity in decentralization policy: China's experience. Journal of Development Economics 86 (1): 112- 128. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdeveco.2007.05.002
- TOSKA, M., BEJKO. A. 2018. Territorial Administrative Reform and the Decentralization Strategy – Progress towards the Desired Objectives after a Governing Mandate, Annual Review of Territorial Governance in Albania, I, 2018, 69-83; https://doi.org/10.32034/CP-TGAR-I01-05